I've not posted anything in a good while - fear not - I've not given up. I've been busy doing more! I'll try to find a way to get it posted.
In the mean time: A brief excerpt from the author of "Program or be Programmed", a title which describes my general feelings pretty well.
"Kids spend an increasing portion of their lives interacting with and through screens
about which they know little or nothing.
The more they do so, the more they accept the values of Facebook, Google, or iTunes as pre-existing conditions of the universe. Instead of opening their minds, technology shuts them down. Compounding all this, the few places most young people have
available to learn about computers tend to teach them how to use and conform to
existing software applications rather than how to make their own.
Introducing kids to code reveals to them how computers are really “anything”
machines, capable of doing pretty much anything we program into them. It gives
them the ability both to read and to write in the foundational languages of the digital age and, in doing so, fundamentally transforms their perspective from that of user to maker, consumer to creative."
-Douglas Rushkoff, author, Program or be Programmed
rushkoff@codecademy.com
Don't be accept the "pre-existing conditions" mindset! Program or be programmed!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave your comments here: